Christmas Hazards for Pets

Christmas is such a wonderful time of year. However, it can also come with some serious and potentially lethal dangers to our pets.

Most people know that chocolate is not safe for our animals, but there are other goodies and treats that are associated with the holidays that we need to be wary of.

  • Mince Pies and Christmas Pudding – all grapes, raisins, currants and sultanas are toxic to dogs, and so are the foods that contain them, so NO mince pies for them!
  • Blue Cheese – while some people love it, blue cheese can cause vomiting, panting, muscle tremors, paddling or seizures in dogs due to its toxicity
  • Macadamia Nuts – these tasty little treats are not good for dogs as they can also cause vomiting, weakness, fever, muscle tremors and depression if ingested (dogs are the only ones affected by these)
  • Garlic, chives, onions and leeks – are poisonous to dogs and cats! You may not see the symptoms of poisoning for several days. While a very small amount of these foods can be safe for some pets, especially dogs, larger amounts can be very toxic
  • Snow Globes – imported versions sometimes contain antifreeze, which can be fatal for cats, even if only a small teaspoon is ingested.
  • Lilies – these are very dangerous for cats to ingest! Eating only two or three leaves, or even drinking the water from a vase can lead to a potentially fatal outcome. We recommend owners try to avoid these plants in the home at all costs.

We hope everyone enjoys this festive time of year and has a happy, healthy Holiday Season!

Written by Pam Hansen