Due to the unseasonably warm weather this fall, fleas have been out in abundance. We all know what a nuisance fleas can be and there are many products out there that can safely provide protection for your fur babies. Please contact your veterinarian for the appropriate treatment.
Many shampoos, sprays, and spot-on treatments available in pet stores contain permethrins. Unfortunately, cats are not able to metabolize them the same way as dogs, resulting in a toxic reaction that can be fatal. Toxicity usually occurs if cats have been accidentally treated with the dog spot-on, or if a cat is in close contact with a recently treated dog.
Clinical signs can develop anywhere between a few hours to 24 hours after exposure and include tremors, vomiting, salivating, seizures and even death. If you notice any of these signs, please take your pet to the veterinarian immediately.
Video courtesy of Highbury North Pet Hospital
Written by Fairmont Animal Hospital